Things autism research could be about:
- How does autism radar work?
- Do we have an easier time communucating with other autistics because our ways of communication are similar, or because we've all had to learn to accomodate the people we're talking to?
- What can be done to prevent and treat autistic burnout?
- What even *is* autistic burnout exactly?
- What effects does masking have on your mental health?
- What autistic traits are actually traits of autism, and which ones are trauma responses?
- How is a non-traumatized autistic brain work?
- How can we better accomodate autistic people?
What autism research is about:
- How do we make the autistic people stop existing?
@ijyx instead its mostly
- how do we help the parents
- are there any drugs to make people less autistic
- how can we make autistic people cope with the world
- how gut bacteria causes autism (google it I swear -_-)
@transbunny it's not even "how can we make autistic people cope with the world", it's "how can we make the world cope with autistic people"
@ijyx anecdotally my money is on getting along with other autistics better because we think similarly rather than having learned to be accommodating. I also suspect that being less clued-in to unspoken social “rules” makes us less judgmental which makes all social interaction more enjoyable. There is some research that suggests autistics are not the problem when it comes to difficulty between ND and NT folks, the NT people have biases that make everyone else uncomfortable.
@ijyx what even is autistic burnout exactly?
This is a serious question. I haven't heard this phrase before and am having trouble mapping it out any one set of personal experiences, even though (or perhaps because "burned out" has been my entire last year)
Also experience tells me that the autism spectrum runs from failing to notice, to refusing to accommodate, to being required to accommodate, to requiring oneself to accommodate, other people's behaviors.
@WizardOfDocs @ijyx From my understanding it happens when autistic folks mask too hard for too long, or when we get really overstimulated. The result is a state of exhaustion, depression, and lots of difficulty masking. It can last anywhere between hours or years, and beginning recovery usually requires removal from whatever situation causes it.
@ijyx "How do we make the autistic people stop existing?"
I can save the people trying to answer that a lot of time and money with a single word.
Unfortunately that word is murder.
Sunbeam City is a anticapitalist, antifascist solarpunk instance that is run collectively.