It's kinda cliche in the US to celebrate George Washington Carver during #BlackHistoryMonth, but y'all I just gotta, the man is a complicated, relatable legend.
• #solarpunk - "We can synthesize materials for every human need from things that grow."
• huge plant nerd
• chronic health issues
• frustrated genius
• probably bisexual, possibly gray-ace
• orphan, survivor of slavery and endless racism
• radical Christian
• terrible at capitalism
• early champion of #homesteading, #sustainability
• ethnobotanist, environmentalist, food justice activist
• "kind of a diva", humblebrag master
• anti-racist, but in a passive-aggressive way
• constantly inventing things
• infinite hobbies - painting, crochet, knitting, needlework
• wanted to help everyone
• used his massive influence to share cooking recipes
• fathered a culture of sustainable independent Black farming that healed the damage of colonialist greed to Southern soils, and still endures today
I could go on
@ziggurat I wish I knew more about him other than "peanut guy"
@interneteh I read a bunch of biographies about him; this one's long and detailed, but I want to find a good book: https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/education/whatischemistry/landmarks/carver.html
For me the short version is that despite being an intellectual elite and a problematic hot mess, he worked hard to sustainably empower poor black farmers.
@interneteh Also I can't read this list without thinking of him as an early blogger 😂
Sunbeam City is a Libertarian Socialist solarpunk instance. It is ran democratically by a cooperative of like-minded individuals.